Thank You, Jack Hanna, for 35 Wild Years
Today is a very special day in Columbus – the 35th anniversary of Jack Hanna’s arrival here as Zoo Director. In those 35 years, he and many others have turned the zoo into America’s best. Jack’s love for Columbus is just as strong as his love for wildlife – he’s always willing to step up to help this community in any way he can. Thank you Jack, for everything you do for Columbus, and for nature itself!
- Jack has 14 khaki outfits in his closet – but only one hat.
- When Jack began his tenure at the Columbus Zoo in 1978, the zoo didn’t contribute any money to wildlife preservation. Today, annual contributions top $1 million.
- In 1978, the Columbus Zoo encompassed 78 acres. Today, the Zoo spans 580 acres, with an additional 100 acres to grow into.
- In 1978, annual attendance at the zoo was about 350,000. Today, 2.3 million people visit every year!
To thank the community, the Columbus Zoo has a series of special offers (all are valid Sept. 18-22) including:
• $3.50 off Zoo-It-All Ride Wristbands
• 35 year olds get in free (with valid ID)
• 35% off of Jack Hanna merchandise on the Plaza Cart
How could we not end this with a laugh? Jack has appeared on late-night TV with David Letterman an astonishing 90 times! Here’s a quick highlight reel the Late Show has put together to celebrate Jack:
Categorized as: Play