5 Short North Date Night Ideas
This post is written by Maggie Mecklenborg, public relations and sales intern for Experience Columbus. You can follow her on Twitter @MaggieMeck.
Coming up with a thoughtful date idea can be tedious and stressful, but the Short North Arts District is just the place to get started on planning your next night out. Known for its edgy, expressive and vibrant cultural community there is always something unique going on in the Short North! Here are five date night ideas for you and your date to explore the “art and soul” of Columbus:
1. The Art Lovers – Start your date admiring the stunning contemporary art at The Pizzuti Collection located on 632 North Park Street. Afterwards head over to Mouton, located at 954 N High Street, to taste their creative vintage cocktails with hand-pressed citrus and high-quality ingredients for a sippable, enjoyable flavor experience. Their inspired food menu also features beautiful cheese, charcuterie and dessert, and fascinating artwork lines their walls to enhance the experience at Mouton.
2. The Athletic Couple –The Short North is acclaimed for its public art, historic architecture and vibrant green spaces. Start your date off on the right foot by discovering all the Short North has to offer through the Walking Tour! The tour is a convenient loop that can be walked in one to four hours, depending upon your inclination to step off the beaten path. After exploring, grab a bite to eat at Northstar Café. This Columbus eatery features an imaginative menu of new American cuisine with a healthful emphasis on organic ingredients.
3. The Not-so Typical First Date – Take your date to Columbus’ favorite night of the month to celebrate art, The Gallery Hop. Every first Saturday of the month, thousands of visitors converge on the strip to see new art exhibits, dozens of galleries and non-traditional exhibit spaces. When you start to get hungry stop over at Bodega. The atmosphere at Bodega is great for a first date because it is casual and relaxed. They have a great beer and spirits selection and their food menu is as equally diverse as their drink options! NOTE: Bodega will be closed for a face-lift in February.
4. The Craft Beer Enthusiasts – Become a brewmaster for the day at North High Brewing. Create your own blend of hand crafted beer on their one-of-a-kind brew-on-premise equipment. Their expert brewers will walk you through the process, ensuring that your batch turns out with the highest level of quality. After customizing your own beer head over to The Pint House, an American style neighborhood bar and restaurant that offers an exceptional selection of beers on tap and a delicious menu!
5. The Romantic Date- Cha-cha your way through the night by taking a dance class at the Short North Ballroom located on 47 East Lincoln Street! They offer salsa, cha cha, swing, tango and classes for beginners, singles and couples. It is a great way for couples to actually interact, hold and touch each other, and work as a team. Then take your date to a romantic dinner at Basi Italia located in the heart of Victorian Village at 811 Highland Avenue. Basi Italia is a small casual feel-good restaurant that features locally grown produce in a clean simple Italian fare with innovative twists. Basi is an easy walk from High Street in the Short North as well as the Columbus Convention Center.