15 Surprising Facts about Columbus
Columbus Lives to Exceed Expectations
1. Columbus is making headlines. Columbus was named a hidden gem in plain sight by Forbes, one of the Best Cities for Conferences by SmartAsset and one of 13 underrated food cities by TastingTable.
2. World-class hospitality is at our core. Columbus offers a destination-wide culture of world-class service. Our local ambassador program ensures all groups will experience superior visitor satisfaction in Columbus. Visitors are also invited to stop by our Visitor Centers at Easton Town Center and in the Arena District .
3. There’s plenty of meeting space. The 1.8-million-square-foot Greater Columbus Convention Center offers 373,000 square feet of contiguous exhibit space, 75 meeting rooms and the largest ballroom in the state. Downtown Columbus has more than 5,000 hotel rooms, 2,700 of which are connected or adjacent to the convention center. In total, there are more than 32,700 hotel rooms citywide.
Live for Inclusivity
4. We’re an accessible city. Our Accessibility Guide highlights how welcoming and accessible Columbus is. The guide provides details on accessibility offerings in the categories of mobility, vision, hearing and cognition in one easy-to-find place.
5. We’re open and welcoming. Columbus has been a haven for immigrants since its founding in 1812. This is seen in historic neighborhoods like German Village, Italian Village and Hungarian Village. We're home to more than 155,000 residents who were born in nations including Bhutan, Somalia, India and Mexico, among others. In fact, we have the second-largest Somali community in the U.S.
6. We support Black-owned businesses. CBUS Soul® is a collaborative initiative between Experience Columbus and local community leaders and influencers that amplifies the rich, historic, innovative, and forward-moving Black culture that helps to fuel the vibrancy of Columbus. Curated itineraries and a directory of businesses are available online or can be customized by our destination experience team.
Live for the First Bite
7. Our food scene is thriving. Bon Appétit recognized Lox Bagel Shop in the Short North Arts District for having one of the best bagels in America in 2023, USA Today named North Market, located across from the convention center, one of the best public markets in the country in 2023 and The New York Times ranked Chapman’s Eat Market in German Village one of the 50 best restaurants in the country in 2021.
8. We’re home to several culinary stars. Restaurateur Cameron Mitchell, James Beard Award-winning cookbook author and founder of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams Jeni Britton, Top Chef Season 18 contestant Avishar Barua and Alexis Nikole Nelson, aka “Black Forager,” all call Columbus home.
Live for Innovation
9. Columbus is one of the fastest-growing cities in the Midwest. Vibrant and alive, Columbus is known for its public-private collaborations and entrepreneurial spirit.
10. The Columbus Region is home to five Fortune 500 and 16 Fortune 1000 companies. Intel recently chose the Columbus region as the site for its two new leading-edge chip factories.
Live for the Full Experience
11. We have vibrant and diverse neighborhoods. Visitors can explore the “Five on High,” five neighborhoods and districts that are within a five-mile stretch of High Street, Columbus’ main thoroughfare. These neighborhoods include the Short North Arts District, the Arena District, picturesque German Village, Downtown, and the University District, home to The Ohio State University. Go beyond the Five on High to discover even more local favorites and bustling neighborhoods.
12. Three professional sports teams are on one dynamic street. The Columbus Crew (MLS), Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) and Columbus Clippers (MiLB) live along a half-mile stretch in Columbus’ downtown Arena District. From February to September, more than 130 professional soccer, hockey and baseball games will take place on Nationwide Blvd.
13. We’re home to nature trails, coffee trails and more. Men's Journal named the Scioto Mile as one of the “21 Best Urban Parks + Trails for City-Dwellers” in 2022. With more than 20 Metro Parks, visitors can hike, bike and paddle throughout our city. Experience Columbus also has curated experiential trails for coffee lovers, pizza lovers and more.
14. We’re a four-season city. From beautiful fall foliage to a mild winter to a colorful spring and a sunny summer, visitors enjoy Columbus year-round.
15. Fashion is a focus. Columbus is the #1 metro in the U.S. for concentration of professionals working in the apparel and fashion industry. We’re also home to the No. 1 retail experience in the country, Easton Town Center, according to Chain Store Age, as well as headquarters for several retail giants, including Abercrombie & Fitch, DSW, Express, Bath & Body Works and more.