A guide to football Saturdays at The Ohio State University
September 10, 2010
September has arrived. School is starting, the days are getting cooler, and in Columbus, there is a sense of excitement in the air that means Ohio State football season is upon us. Dust off your buckeyes, gear up your Scarlet & Grey pride and read these helpful tips for how to enjoy your football Saturday on The Ohio State University campus.
O dds & ends
Before you experience a Buckeye game day, you need to do your homework. Do you have tickets to the game, the latest Buckeye attire, and a place to stay that night?
- Conrad’s - adjacent to Ohio Stadium and has a huge selection of game day apparel
- Barnes and Noble - The Ohio State University Bookstore - also great place to get gear, and is located near abundant parking
Getting there and around
- Blackwell Inn and Conference Center – 3 minute walk to Ohio Stadium
- Varsity Inn OSU South – 27 minute walk to Ohio Stadium, 27 minutes by COTA bus
- Fairfield Inn & Suites OSU – 39 minute walk to Ohio Stadium, 10 minutes by COTA bus
- University Plaza Hotel and Conference Center – 41 minute walk to Ohio Stadium, 9 minutes by COTA bus
- Hilton Garden Inn Columbus - University Area – 44 minute walk to Ohio Stadium, 12 minutes by COTA bus
- Varsity Inn OSU North – 45 minute walk to Ohio Stadium, 12 minutes by COTA bus
- Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU – 52 minute walk to Ohio Stadium; 38 minutes by COTA bus
You’re going to need some energy food to keep up with the atmosphere for the rest of the day – here are a couple favorites:
Nearby places you can grab a drink or take in some Buckeye spirit.
- Skull Session – an exclusive opportunity to get a sneak peek at The Ohio State University Marching Band before the game
- Ohio Union – there’s a ton of stuff to do here on game days, including free tours of the new building for alumni
- Longaberger Alumni House – tailgating spots and catering are available - call ahead if you want an area
- The Little Bar – great bar tailgating near the OSU campus; there’s even a giant 16-foot TV so you can keep up with the game
- Varsity Club – one of the longest established bars and tailgate parties that attracts alumni and college students alike
- O Patio – conveniently located on High Street, this bar has a covered patio featuring a gas fire pit for cooler fall days
- WNCI River Jam – large tailgate on Lane Avenue featuring live music and food
Some popular spots to celebrate a victory are in the bars in the South Campus Gateway.