Columbus is a great city for lesbian and gay travelers - if you need proof, make sure you visit during Pride - June 20-21! The whole city is full of things to see and do, but if you need to narrow it down, we picked five events during the Columbus Pride Festival to show you how diverse and creative the city's LGBT community is.
- The Parade: This exuberant celebration kicks off at 11 a.m. on Sat., June 21, at Front and Broad, and marches the streets through downtown, the Short North and Goodale Park. Pro-tip: Order some takeout breakfast from Northstar Cafe and stake out a good spot on the sidewalks a couple hours ahead. This year, George Takei is serving as Grand Marshal!
- Capital Pride Band: Catch this 70-piece band at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 21, on the Park Street Stage in Goodale Park.
- National performing artists Alex Newell and Crystal Bowersox take the stage Friday, June 20 at 6:45 and 8:30 p.m., respectively. Newell is best known for performances on Glee, and Ohio-native Bowersox was the runner-up on the 9th season of American Idol.
- Bat n' Rouge: Join Columbus' most beloved performer, Nina West for a fun softball game, held in partnership with the Columbus Lesbian and Gay Softball Association. This event is on Sunday, June 22, at Dodge Park in Franklinton.
- Columbus Gay Men's Chorus: With more than 90 singers, tons of enthusiasm and great energy, you won't want to miss them at 1:50 p.m. on Saturday, June 21 on the Gazebo Stage at Goodale Park.