But, maybe I shouldn't even call it an "undercurrent" anymore . . . it's more obvious than that. It's a definitive energy. An unmistakable spirit.
If you want proof, there's somewhere you should be this Saturday, Sept. 19: on Gay Street for Independents' Day . A gathering of active people and creative people, in celebration of all things independent and all things Columbus.
- The Urban Street Market, made up of the booths of over 150 Columbus artists and businesses.
- Live music and performances on multiple stages, plus live painting (see bands and schedule listed here ).
- Via Colori artists creating large scale chalk masterpieces.
- Food from Dine Originals Columbus , a collective of well-loved, locally owned and operated restaurants.
- Films, a dance party, more, more, more . . .
Local blogger Leigh Householder, writer of Advergirl , described the event this way:
"In the words of the founders, this is a day-long explosion of creative spirit. I believe it's destined to be as big as SxSW and twice as cool."
Click to read more about it from Leigh (plus, she shares additional Columbus event recommendations; ones that are right on target, if you ask me).
See you Saturday?