This post is written by Mary Szymkowiak.
In just three short weeks, the streets of Gahanna will be filled with the sounds of hot jazz and cool blues, delicious aromas from 26 food vendors and a dozen restaurants, and the unforgettable experience of the 16th Annual Creekside Blues & Jazz Festival (CBJF)—June 20-22. Never been? You need to go. Here are a few of the TOP reasons why …
1) The Music: Grammy Winners and Local Groove The award-winning event features 90 hours of live music on five stages. 2014 headliners include Grammy award winning blues artist John Hammond, smooth-jazz artists The Urban Jazz Coalition featuring Elizabeth Mis, and local/regional favorites including Angela Perley & the Howlin’ Moons, Forest & the Evergreens, the Salty Caramels and Soul Kitch’n.
2) Whiskey Pete and the Creekside Sling Learn about the evolution of whiskey-making and meet “Whiskey Pete,” certified spirit specialist and whiskey ambassador with Brown-Forman, between 2-5 p.m. Saturday, during a bourbon and whiskey tasting experience. Not in the mood to sample? Order a “Gahanna Jewel” or “Lemon Thyme Creekside Sling”—signature cocktails created just for the event! Columbus Brewing Company craft beers and other beverages also will be available.
3) Family Entertainment Looking for a fun and economical way to entertain the kiddos? Check out the Donatos’ Family Fun Zone, filled with amusement rides, putt-putt golf, a petting zoo, a Musical Discovery Zone with interactive workshops by Jazz4Kids, free craft activities and more.
4) #2014CBJF SUPERFAN Club. There’s a reason why we launched a CBJF SUPERFAN Club this year … once you attend the Festival, you’ll be back. There’s a unique vibe about this Festival. Maybe it’s the combo of great live music under the summer stars, good food and drink and great company … but our attendees quickly become devotees. And we want to spread the love. Use the #2014CBJF hashtag on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram between now and June 22 and you could snag some free wristbands and one of just 50 #2014CBJF SUPERFAN T-shirts.
5) Cheap fun. Admission for the event is just $5/per person per day. Children 12 and under and members of the military (with their immediate family) are free. ($12 pre-event weekend wristbands are available at the Gahanna Convention & Visitors Bureau through 6/18.) Free admission on Sunday 12- 1:30 pm with the donation of one nonperishable food item (per person) to benefit Mid-Ohio Foodbank. Hours: Friday, June 20—5-11 p.m./ Saturday, June 21—11 a.m.- 11 p.m. /Sunday, June 22—12-6 p.m.
To learn more, visit CreeksideBluesandJazz.com or call 614/418-9114.