Unique ways to spend a lunch hour in Columbus
May 26, 2009
This time of year, distances to walk at lunchtime seem shorter than they did during the frigid temperatures of the previous months. I like to take advantage of the warmer weather by strolling to some of the lunchtime programs in the area. They're great escapes in the middle of the day.
Below are a few options to consider:
- Every Friday between May 29 and September 4, The Ohio Statehouse offers free lunch time performances from 12:00- 1:00 p.m. on the Statehouse lawn (except for Friday, July 3). You can check the performance schedule here .
- The last Friday of each month this summer, stop in the Experience Columbus Visitor Center to see and touch exotic animals from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. The first visit this season is this week! Additional dates and details are here .
- On varying days, the OSU Urban Arts Space offers a variety of exhibits and lectures at their space located in the historic Lazarus building. Check the schedule for upcoming "Brown Bag" dates here .
- Daily, the Arena Grand Movie Theatre shows nonstop movie trailers during lunch for free. You can also grab food from their Bistro & Bar , which offers lunch specials Monday through Friday.
- If you're a sports fan or just want to check out the new ballpark , the Columbus Clippers offer afternoon games on the following dates:
Thursday May 28 at 11:35 a.m. Thursday June 18 at 12:05 p.m. Thursday July 9 at 12:05 p.m. Tuesday August 4 at 12:05 p.m.
(The full Clippers schedule is here )