Saving Glenbrow: A Conversation with Joe Kuspan & Dorri Steinhoff at Long Street Studio

10/1/17

1:30 PM to 3:00 PM

Long Street Studio

300 East Long Street, Columbus, OH, OH 43215

(614) 221-0227

Get Details

Details

Glenbrow (also known as the Gunning House) is a mid-20th Century, Organic Modernist house that embodies Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian principles of architecture as interpreted by Wright disciples, Tony Smith, Laurence Cuneo and Ted Van Fossen (who went on to design Rush Creek Village). 

 

Built in 1940 with lime and sandstone that was quarried on-site, and board and batten cypress horizontal siding, Glenbrow was purchased in 2014 after appearing on Columbus Landmarks' "Most Endangered Buildings" list. The house sat vacant, open to the elements for many years with only minimal maintenance since 2006. The site highlights to perfection the integral relationship between landscape and architecture. Built into a hillside on a wooded ravine overlooking a bedrock bottom creek, floor to ceiling windows take full advantage of dramatic views. The property also features a studio and covered walkway overlooking a zen garden, a stone water feature, a pond, a former tennis court (now in the process of being reclaimed by natural ground cover) and a four-story tower added in 1964 that will become an artist's retreat in the near future. 

 

Join Dorri and Joe as they share a detailed account of salvaging and restoring Glenbrow, the once-endangered Usonian property located on East Broad Street near Blacklick. Designed for the Gunning Family in 1940, the buildings on site were vacant, deteriorated and threatened with redevelopment until Dorri and Joe made the commitment to rehabilitate See before and after photos that bring the  story to life and learn about the history of the designers Smith, Van Fossen and Cuneo, as well as the former homeowners, the Gunning Family. Coffee and cookies will be served. 

 

The talk will take place at Long Street Studio in the Gathering Room, 300 East Long Street, corner of North 6th and East Long Streets in the same building as The Roosevelt Coffeehouse. Special thanks to Milhoan Architects for the use of the space.